Fried Pickled Green Tomatoes with Black Pepper Gastrique
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Sarah Heard and Nathan Lemley, Chef Owners of Foreign & Domestic in Austin.
From the Chef
“Foreign & Domestic’s Fried Pickled Green Tomatoes with Black Pepper Gastrique elevates this key Southern dish to new flavor heights. Tangy green tomato slices tossed in McCormick Culinary® Ground Black Pepper and Dark Chili Powder with a hint of Fine Grind Mediterranean Sea Salt are topped with a biting black pepper gastrique drizzle. Flavorful and friendly for any daypart, offer this craveable dish on your menu and watch for return customers!”
Fried Pickled Green Tomatoes
3 each Green tomato
1 ounce Apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon McCormick Culinary® Sea Salt, Mediterranean Fine Grind
1 ½ tablespoon McCormick Culinary® Black Pepper, Ground
1 cup All-purpose flour
1 cup Buttermilk
1 cup Cornmeal
1 teaspoon McCormick Culinary® Chipotle Chili Powder, Dark to taste
Black Pepper Gastrique
1 tablespoon McCormick Culinary® Black Pepper, Ground
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Apple cider vinegar
For the Black Pepper Gastrique:
1. Make a dry caramel with sugar.
2. Once caramel is light brown add apple cider vinegar and McCormick Culinary® Black Pepper, Ground.
3. Reduce until viscous and reserve.
For the Fired Pickled Green Tomatoes:
1. Slice green tomatoes and toss with vinegar, McCormick Culinary® Sea Salt, Mediterranean Fine Grind and McCormick Culinary® Black Pepper, Ground. Let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Dip tomatoes in flour, coating completely, and knocking off any excess flour.
3. Dip tomatoes in buttermilk and then peppered cornmeal.
4. Fry tomatoes until golden brown and place on drying rack.
5. Season to taste with McCormick Culinary® Chili Powder, Dark and McCormick Culinary® Sea Salt, Mediterranean Fine Grind.
1. Stack Fried Pickled Green Tomatoes on a place and drizzle with Black Pepper Gastrique then serve.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.