Herb-Roasted Spatchcocked Chicken with Paprika-Dusted Potatoes
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Chef Maurietta Amos
National Culinary Review, May/June 2023
From the Chef
“Chef Maurietta Amos, a culinary arts instructor at Atlanta College and Career Academy, prepares this dish for her friends and family on Juneteenth. Note: the leftover drippings can be strained to create a pan gravy. If using dried herbs in place of fresh, reduce the amount called for by 1/2 the amount for each.”
Ingredients for the Chicken:
1 whole fryer chicken (approximately 3.5 lbs.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 teaspoon marjoram, finely chopped
2 teaspoons flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, divided
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 navel orange, thinly sliced
1 Meyer lemon, thinly sliced
1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
Ingredients for the Paprika-Dusted Potatoes:
1 1/2 pounds assorted potatoes (red and Yukon gold), cut into large cubes with the skin on, rinsed
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 small shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced herbs (parsley and rosemary)
Method for the Chicken:
1. Using kitchen/poultry shears, remove the back bone from the chicken by cutting alongside the bone on either side. Place the chicken on a cutting board, breast side up and press on the center breast bone to flatten.
2. Pat chicken dry on all sides. Place on a sheet pan and refrigerate, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (conventional) or 400 degrees F (convection).
4. Combine oil, melted butter, rosemary, marjoram, 1/2 of the parsley, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.
5. Remove chicken from the refrigerator and loosen skin. Gently rub the oil-herb mixture all over the chicken and under the skin where loosened. Place chicken, breast side up, on a roasting pan. Place the orange and lemon slices on top and around the chicken on the rack.
6. Roast chicken until skin is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F. Pour chicken stock into pan. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and continue to roast for 30 to 35 minutes more until the juices run clear and a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part reads 160 degrees F.
7. Remove chicken from oven and let rest at least 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle remaining parsley over the top of each breast and serve with the paprika-dusted potatoes.
Method for the Paprika-Dusted Potatoes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with foil that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
2. Bring 1 gallon of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and maintain a boil for 1 minute. Drain the potatoes into a large bowl. Toss potatoes with the olive oil and herbs. Spread into a single layer on a sheet pan.
3. Roast potatoes until tender and slightly browned, about 25 minutes, tossing a few times during the cooking process.
Main Dish, Poultry, Side, The National Culinary Review
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.