Filipino Kaldereta with Lamb Shanks
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Chef Roy Villacrusis
National Culinary Review, 2023
From the Chef
“Kaldereta (also, caldereta) is a favorite from Pinoy, Philippines, traditionally made with chevon, with potatoes, carrots, olives, tomato sauce and liver spread or liver paste. This is a popular dish served during special occasions like birthdays and holidays. For this version, Australian lamb shanks stand in for the goat meat, beef or pork that's traditionally used. This is one of the dishes heavily influenced by the Spaniards who occupied the island country for over three centuries, yet the finished flavor is very Filipino.”
3 pounds cleaned Australian lamb shanks
1/2 cup rice vinegar
Kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 medium minced onion
3 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon red Thai chile paste
2 cups water
6 tablespoons liver spread
1 medium russet potato, peeled and diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3/4 cup pitted Spanish green olives
3/4 cup sliced bell pepper
1 cup chopped Napa cabbage
3/4 cup sweet green peas
1. Combine the lamb shanks and vinegar in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, then drain off the marinade.
2. Heat oil in a large pot over high heat.
3. Add the lamb shanks and sear until the lightly browned. Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, onion and tomatoes, tomato sauce and chile paste and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
5. Stir in the liver spread and cook for 5 minutes (you may add water if the sauce seems too thick). Add the potato and carrot, then simmer for 8 minutes.
6. Add the olives and bell pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes. Add the Napa cabbage and simmer for 2 minutes.
7. Add the green peas. Season with salt and pepper and stir. Serve immediately.
Serves 4 – 6
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.