Idaho® Potato Monte Cristo Sandwich
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Joshua Humphrey, Executive Chef, Sam & Harry’s at Renaissance Schaumburg, Schaumburg, Ill.
The National Culinary Review, June 2013
5 lbs. Idaho® russet potatoes, peeled
½ cup Dijon mustard
½ cup clover honey
1 sweet yellow onion, diced small, sauteed, chilled
6 egg yolks
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup butter, clarified
18 slices turkey breast
18 slices ham
18 slices Genoa salami
12 slices Gruyere cheese
1. Add potatoes to large pot cold salted water. Bring to a boil; boil 10-15 minutes. Cook 20-25 minutes until fork-tender. Mash potatoes; chill.
2. In small bowl, whisk together mustard and honey. Reserve.
3. In large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, egg yolks and flour; mix thoroughly.
4. On work surface lined with wax paper, use spatula to form potato mixture into 12 square patties.
5. Heat generous amount of butter in large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Working in batches, transfer patties to pan; cook until golden-brown, about 5 minutes per side, adding more butter as needed. Lower heat; keep warm in uncovered pan.
6. In separate pan over high heat, sear turkey, ham and salami just until hot.
7. Distribute meats evenly over 6 potato patties. Top each with 2 slices Gruyere; let cheese melt slightly, about 2 minutes. Top with remaining potato patties to make sandwiches.
8. Serve warm with honey mustard on side for dipping.
Main Dish, Pork, Poultry, The National Culinary Review
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.