Golden Biscuits with Creamy Mashed Idaho® Potato Center
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Alexandra Guarnaschelli, Chef, Butter, New York
The National Culinary Review, February 2013
3 lbs. Idaho® potatoes, washed
1 t. vegetable oil
2 red bell peppers, washed, cored, small-dice
2 cups all-purpose flour + extra for rolling biscuits
2½ t. baking powder
½ t. kosher salt
1¼ cups heavy cream, divided
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 small bunch chives, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 t. paprika (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450ºF. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet; put in center of oven.
2. Heat medium-size saute pan. Add vegetable oil and diced peppers; cook 2 minutes, until liquid escapes and peppers are slightly translucent. Cool.
3. In large bowl, mix together 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Add 1 cup cream; mix dough by hand. When cream is integrated with flour, add cheese, chives and peppers; knead in. Put flour on clean, flat surface. Turn dough out onto flour; flatten to no more than ½ inch thick. Cut in half; put two halves on baking sheet. Refrigerate.
4. When potatoes are tender when pierced with tip of knife, remove from oven. Lower oven temperature to 375ºF. Split potatoes in half. Scoop out flesh; transfer to bowl. Discard skins. Whisk in remaining ¼ cup cream; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add paprika, if desired. Refrigerate.
5. Cut biscuit dough in large rounds. Each piece should be big enough to cover bottom and sides of muffin mold. Gently press dough in bottom; line sides. Fill center with cooled potato mixture. Cut smaller round for top; place on potatoes. Twist edges to conceal center. Alternatively, bake without tops.
6. Put tray in center of oven; bake biscuits until light golden-brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool slightly; remove from tin.
1 standard-size muffin tin
Bread/Pastry, Breakfast, The National Culinary Review
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.