Maple Sausage/Apple/Sweet Onion Brunch Tart
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Courtesy of Knouse Foods
The National Culinary Review, February 2013
3 prepared refrigerated single unbaked pie crusts, room temperature
3 lbs. maple-flavored bulk pork sausage
1 qt. chopped sweet onion
63 oz. Lucky Leaf® apple pie filling
1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup chopped pecans
½ cup pure maple syrup
Dressed baby-greens salad
1. Preheat to 400ºF conventional oven or 350ºF convection oven.
2. Roll each pie crust into 12-13 inch circle. Put pie crust into each of three 10-10½ inch round tart pans with removable bottoms, pressing into bottom and up sides; line with double thickness heavy-duty foil. Bake 5 minutes; remove foil. Continue baking 5-7 minutes, or until pastry is nearly done. Remove from oven. Hold.
3. In large skillet or sauteuse over medium-high heat, cook sausage and onion until meat is brown and onion tender, stirring frequently. Drain fat. Stir in apple pie filling and ¼ cup brown sugar; mix well. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
4. Spoon mixture in equal amounts into each of the partially baked pie shells. Hold.
5. In medium bowl, cut butter into remaining ¾ cup brown sugar until crumbly. Stir in oats and pecans; sprinkle evenly over tops of sausage tarts.
6. Bake, uncovered, 35-45 minutes, or until top is golden and mixture is hot.
7. Remove from oven. Drizzle tops of tarts with maple syrup. Let stand 15 minutes. Remove sides of pans.
8. To serve: Slice each tart into 8. Serve warm with baby-greens salad lightly dressed with mustard vinaigrette.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.