You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Scott Anderson, Executive Chef, Shepherd University Dining, Shepherdstown, W.Va.
The National Culinary Review, October 2012
1 (9 inch) prepared pie dough
6 oz. ground sausage
1 oz. canola or grapeseed oil, as needed
1 oz. minced onion
1 (8 oz.) fresh California avocado, thinly sliced
3 oz. jalapeño colby cheese, grated
4 large eggs
6 oz. 2% milk
¼ t. salt
Ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place rack on bottom third of oven.
2. Roll out pie dough; place in 9-inch pie dish, gently forming dough to pan and shaping crust. Place pie dish in freezer.
3. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground sausage; cook, breaking apart with spoon, until just starts to brown. If sausage is lean, add cooking oil, as needed, to keep from sticking. Add onion; continue to cook until onion is lightly browned and sausage is cooked through. Remove from heat. Transfer mixture to bowl; cool for 5 minutes.
4. Remove pie shell from freezer. Line bottom with half the avocado slices, arranging in circle. Add sausage/onion mixture. Top with cheese. Layer remaining avocado slices in circle on top, pressing mixture down to keep below rim of pie dish.
5. Whisk eggs and milk together in bowl until well-incorporated. Add salt and dash of pepper. Pour egg mixture into pie shell. Place quiche on baking sheet; put on shelf in lower third of oven.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until set and center no longer jiggles. Remove from oven. Set aside to cool/set for 15 minutes before cutting. Slice; serve.
1 (9-inch) quiche
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.