Lemon Curd, Microwave Pistachio Sponge Cake, Green Apple Sorbet and Greek Yogurt
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Antonio Bachour, Executive Pastry Chef, The St. Regis Bal Harbour Resort, Miami
The National Culinary Review, May 2012
280 grams water
80 grams atomized glucose (glucose powder)
3 grams ice cream stabilizer
570 grams sugar, divided + 1 cup
1 kilogram fresh green apple juice
290 grams lemon juice, divided
920 grams pistachio paste, divided
180 grams egg whites + 1 egg white
60 grams almond flour
4 grams agar-agar
270 grams whole eggs
350 grams butter
1 gelatin sheet, silver
450 grams heavy cream, divided
1 cup green pistachios
1 frozen unbaked French baguette
Olive oil, as needed
1 cup Mediterranean yogurt
2 T. simple syrup
Lemon zest, for garnish
Micro herbs/flowers, for garnish
Fresh apple, peeled, diced, for garnish
1. For green apple sorbet: In pot, heat water to 40ºC; stir in atomized glucose. Combine ice cream stabilizer with 300 grams sugar; add to water. Bring water back to a boil. Combine apple juice and 20 grams lemon juice; immediately pour into syrup, stirring to combine. Chill completely. Process in ice cream machine.
2. For pistachio microwave sponge: In blender, process 220 grams pistachio paste, 180 grams egg whites and almond flour; strain into iSi cream whipper. Charge with two N2O chargers; refrigerate for a few hours. Make 3 small cuts in base of plastic cup. Shake whipper vigorously; fill cup 1/3 full. Cook for 40 seconds in microwave (keep cup upside-down until cool to keep steam inside). Repeat, as needed, until batter is used up.
3. For lemon curd: Combine remaining 270 grams lemon juice and agar-agar in saucepan; bring to a boil. Meanwhile, combine 270 grams sugar and eggs in bowl; whisk to combine. Temper lemon juice into egg mixture; return to saucepan. Bring to a boil while stirring constantly. Transfer mixture to blender; blend on low speed. Add butter, little by little, until incorporated. Pour mixture into plastic 17 x 11 inch sheet tray; set in refrigerator.
4. For pistachio cream: Bloom gelatin. In saucepan, heat 400 grams heavy cream to 35ºC. Put remaining 700 grams pistachio paste in bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Slowly incorporate hot cream. Squeeze excess moisture from bloomed gelatin; dissolve gelatin in remaining 50 grams cream, add liquid to pistachio paste mixture. Cool; refrigerate.
5. For candied pistachios: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Beat egg white until frothy. Add pistachios and 1 cup sugar; mix well. Spread on Silpat-lined sheet tray; bake for 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool.
6. For bread croquant: Slice baguette into ¼ inch slices; place in single layer on baking sheet. Brush each slice with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes in 350ºF oven, until crisp.
7. For yogurt sauce: Combine yogurt and syrup. Transfer to squeeze bottle. Refrigerate.
8. To assemble and serve: Pipe small line of yogurt sauce on plate. Pipe dollops of pistachio cream on plate. Arrange 2 pistachio sponges on each side. Arrange a cylinder of lemon curd between sponges. Plate candied pistachios on top of lemon curd. Garnish with lemon zest, croquant, micro herbs and flowers, and diced fresh apple. Finish with quenelle of green apple sorbet.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.