Red Snapper “En Papillote,” Madras Curry Vinaigrette, Vidalia Onions, Tzatziki and Tart Apple Salad
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Todd Kelly, 2011 U.S.A.’s Chef of the Year™, executive chef/director of food and beverage, Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza, Cincinnati
The National Culinary Review, September 2011
8 (1 oz.) red snapper portions
1 Vidalia onion
2 T. butter
Salt and pepper
1 T. chopped thyme
8 brick dough, cut in 4-inch circles
6 oz. cider vinegar
4 oz. orange juice
2 oz. + 2 t. + 1 T. lemon juice, divided
1½ oz. honey
1 oz. garlic
1 oz. lemon grass
2 t. salt
2 t. pepper
2 (2-inch) sections English cucumber
½ cup thick yogurt
1 t. chopped garlic
1 t. olive oil
¼ cup micro Bulls Blood
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
18 oz. curry oil (recipe follows)
½ cup curry powder
4 oz. water
20 oz. grapeseed oil
1. Fillet fish; cut into 8 (1 oz.) portions. Julienne onion; cook in butter. Season with salt, pepper and chopped thyme. Reserve cold. Season fish; place in center of brick dough. Top with cooled onions. Fold brick dough over fish to form semicircle. Sear in clarified butter until brick dough is crispy and fish is gently cooked inside.
2. In medium saucepot, reduce vinegar, orange juice, 2 oz. lemon juice, honey, garlic, lemon grass, salt
and pepper to syrup. Strain through china cap; cool. Put in blender; drizzle in curry oil with motor running.
3. Julienne cucumber on mandoline. Mix with yogurt, garlic, olive oil and 2 t. lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Combine extra virgin olive oil and 1 T. lemon juice.
5. At service: Peel apples; cut into batonnets. Toss with micro Bulls Blood and 1 T. lemon vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper. Per serving: Place pool of curry vinaigrette in center of plate. Place 2 brick dough packets in center of plate. Top with cucumber tzatziki and apple salad.
Method: In dry pan, toast curry powder. Add water; cook until dry. Add grapeseed oil; cook to 150ºF. Steep at room temperature for 2 hours. Strain through coffee filter.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.