Cervena Venison Borscht
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Peter Pahk, Chef, Silverado Resort, Napa, Calif.
The National Culinary Review, February 2010
10 cups beef broth
1 sachet (6 peppercorns,
1 bay leaf, sprig of thyme)
2 lbs. meaty Cervena venison shanks, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large red beets, cut in eighths
2 large yellow beets, cut in eighths
1 large russet potato, peeled, cut in ½-inch cubes
12 baby carrots, peeled
1 large leek, cut in rounds
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup crème fraîche
¾ cup chiffonade of green onions
¾ cup chopped fresh dill
1. Bring beef broth, sachet and venison to a boil. Reduce heat, cover; allow to simmer until meat is tender, about 1½ hours.
2. Remove meat and sachet; cool meat. Remove meat from bones; reserve.
3. In same pot, cook beets in broth until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove beets; reserve with meat.
4. In large pot of boiling, salted water, cook potato and carrots together until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; reserve with meat.
5. In pot of boiling, salted water, cook leeks for about 1 minute. Drain; reserve with rest of ingredients.
6. Add venison and all vegetables back into broth. Check seasoning; add salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with drizzle of crème fraîche, green onions and dill.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.