Cervena Venison Borscht
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Peter Pahk, Chef, Silverado Resort, Napa, Calif.
The National Culinary Review, February 2010
10 cups beef broth
1 sachet (6 peppercorns,
1 bay leaf, sprig of thyme)
2 lbs. meaty Cervena venison shanks, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 large red beets, cut in eighths
2 large yellow beets, cut in eighths
1 large russet potato, peeled, cut in ½-inch cubes
12 baby carrots, peeled
1 large leek, cut in rounds
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup crème fraîche
¾ cup chiffonade of green onions
¾ cup chopped fresh dill
1. Bring beef broth, sachet and venison to a boil. Reduce heat, cover; allow to simmer until meat is tender, about 1½ hours.
2. Remove meat and sachet; cool meat. Remove meat from bones; reserve.
3. In same pot, cook beets in broth until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove beets; reserve with meat.
4. In large pot of boiling, salted water, cook potato and carrots together until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; reserve with meat.
5. In pot of boiling, salted water, cook leeks for about 1 minute. Drain; reserve with rest of ingredients.
6. Add venison and all vegetables back into broth. Check seasoning; add salt and pepper, to taste.
7. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with drizzle of crème fraîche, green onions and dill.
Game, Soup, The National Culinary Review
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.