You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: From Gale Gand’s Brunch! (Clarkson Potter, 2009), by Gale Gand
The National Culinary Review, April 2010
5 cups cubed French bread (with crust)
Grated cheese (variations follow)
10 large eggs
1 quart whole milk
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
Filling ingredients (variations follow)
• 2 cups grated sharp cheddar, 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon (6-8 strips), 1 cup sautéed sliced white or shiitake mushrooms, 1 cup chopped tomato
• 2 cups Monterey Jack, 1 cup frozen corn kernels, 1 cup cooked broccoli florets, 2 (4½ oz.) cans chopped green chiles (drained), ½ cup shredded cooked chicken
• 2 cups grated Swiss, 1 cups blanched asparagus pieces, 1 cup cubed ham, ½ cup caramelized onion
• 2 cups fontina, 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, 1 cup Italian salami (cut into matchsticks), ½ cup roughly chopped roasted garlic cloves
• 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, 1 cup cooked cubed celery root, 1 cup sautéed sliced zucchini, ½ cup sautéed sliced onions
1. Butter 9x13-inch baking dish. Put bread cubes in dish; sprinkle with cheese.
2. In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, mustard and salt; pour egg mixture over bread cubes. Sprinkle filling ingredients over egg mixture; fold in gently. Cover; chill for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours.
3. Heat oven to 350ºF. Uncover baking dish; bake for 60 minutes, until mixture has puffed up slightly and is golden-brown on top (strata should not shimmy with uncooked custard when pan shaken). Tent dish with foil if top is browning too quickly.
4. Cool 5 minutes before serving.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.