R.J. Grunts French Dip Enigma
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: R.J. Grunts, Chicago
The National Culinary Review, July/August 2010
From the Chef
“Courtesy of Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises”
2 lbs. beef inside round
½ cup vegetable oil
2 T. salt
1 T. black pepper
1 T. granulated garlic
1 quart beef stock
1 loaf French bread
2 T. garlic butter
Horseradish sauce, as needed
1. Pat beef dry; place on baking sheet. Combine vegetable oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Smear mixture over beef. Put in preheated 350ºF oven; cook until rare, or to an internal temperature of 125ºF.
2. Remove from oven; cool. Reserve pan drippings. When beef has cooled, slice wafer-thin.
3. For beef jus, heat beef stock; add reserved pan drippings.
4. Cut French bread into four 8-inch pieces; cut each piece in half lengthwise. Spread garlic butter on cut sides of bread; toast until golden.
5. Heat sliced beef in hot beef jus 2-3 minutes, or until hot. (Do not overcook.) Remove beef with tongs; place on French bread. Serve with beef jus and horseradish sauce on side.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.