Prosciutto-Wrapped Terrine of Veal
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Michael Matarazzo, 2010 U.S.A.’s Chef of the Year™
The National Culinary Review, September 2010
½ veal rack
1 slice (about ½-inch thick) foie gras
5 napa cabbage leaves
0.5 oz. heavy cream
6 shiitake mushroom caps
Olive oil, as needed
Salt and pepper, as needed
8 slices (thin-sliced) prosciutto
1 sheet (8-inch x 10-inch) caul fat
1 oz. whole butter, diced
5 sprigs fresh thyme
4 garlic cloves
1. Remove eye of rack from bone; remove silver skin or excess fat.
2. In very hot pan, sear foie gras on both sides until deep golden-brown; chill.
3. Julienne cabbage leaves; blanch in salted water.
4. Bring cream to a simmer; reduce until thickened. Add blanched cabbage; cool.
5. Toss mushrooms in olive oil, salt and pepper; roast until just tender. Cool.
6. Split veal in half lengthwise; lightly pound with meat mallet to even thickness (about ¼-inch). On sheet of plastic wrap, lay out prosciutto slices, slightly overlapping to make solid sheet. Place one piece of veal on prosciutto; spoon thin layer creamed cabbage down middle. Place foie gras on top of cabbage. Place mushrooms down middle. Finish with thin layer of cabbage. Put second piece of veal on top of layers; roll entire piece in prosciutto, overlapping prosciutto by at least 1 inch. Roll in caul fat; tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Chill thoroughly.
7. Heat sauté pan; add olive oil, butter, shallot, thyme and garlic. Add terrine; gently render caul fat, basting constantly. Place on roasting rack; put in 375ºF oven until medium-rare. Rest 10 minutes; slice.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.