You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Edward G. Leonard, CMC, WGMC, FSP, AAC
Sizzle, Spring 2014
4 Strauss veal shanks, cut 2½-3 inches
Kosher salt and black
Tellicherry peppercorns, ground, to season
Cake flour, to coat
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
1 cup small-diced sweet onion
2/3 cup small-diced carrot
1 garlic clove, sliced
½ cup small-diced celery
1 cup Italian tomato puree passata
¾ cup dry white wine
3 cups veal stock
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
2 parsnips, peeled, cut and shaped into marrow “bones,” center punched
2 cups chicken or veal broth
3 T. cold butter
Garlic and kale chips for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Tie veal shanks firmly with butcher’s twine. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour; shake off excess.
2. Heat large stainless steel skillet; add butter and olive oil. Brown veal shanks on both sides. Reserve
3. Add more olive oil, if needed. Brown onion, carrot and garlic 6-10 minutes. Add celery and tomato puree; cook 2-3 minutes. Add white wine; simmer 2-3 minutes.
4. Add shanks and stock with thyme and bay leaves; bring to a simmer. Cover. Put in oven; cook 3-3½ hours, until tender.
5. Bring veal or chicken broth to a simmer in stainless steel saucepan; add parsnip “bone.” Cook until just tender. Remove from broth; prepare to fill.
6. When shanks are tender, remove cover. Increase oven temperature to 425°F; cook additional 20 minutes.
7. Remove osso buco; cool slightly. Slice all meat from bones. Remove bone marrow; reserve. Place shank meat in stainless steel bowl.
8. Place pan on burner. Reduce stock by one-third. Put in blender; puree. Whisk in cold butter.
9. Fold half sauce into shank meat; season. Portion into vacuum bags. Compress in vacuum pack machine as directed by machine instructions. Keep warm in warmer box or circulator.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.