Red-Eye Hollandaise Sauce
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Richard Kugelmann
Sizzle, Summer 2014
2 egg yolks
1 oz. strong coffee
16 oz. clarified butter
Lemon juice, as needed
Water (or additional coffee), as needed
Salt and cayenne pepper, to taste
2 oz. tasso ham, diced or pureed
1. In stainless-steel bowl, whisk egg yolks and coffee together to triple volume.
2. Transfer bowl over bain-marie containing barely simmering water. Cook the mixture 1-3 minutes, until volume doubles, reaching the ribbon stage. Remove from heat. Whisk about 20 seconds to prevent eggs from continuing to cook.
3. Add butter to egg/coffee mixture in steady stream while constantly whisking. Use only enough butter to achieve somewhat thick consistency. There may be some butter left over.
4. Add lemon juice and/or additional coffee or water, to taste. Be careful not to thin sauce too much. Season, to taste, with salt and cayenne pepper.
5. Garnish with diced or pureed tasso ham.
6. Serve immediately or hold warm between 95°F and 100°F in thermos or butter warmer.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.