Ground Veal Breadsticks and Beetroot Ayran (Yogurt Drink)
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Erol Kanmaz, CEC, WCC, culinary instructor, Northwest Culinary Institute, Vancouver, Wash.
Sizzle, Summer 2014
1 medium tomato
4 oz. ground veal breast
2 banana peppers
½ oz. minced garlic
1 oz. minced yellow onion
½ oz. finely chopped parsley
1 t. salt
1 t. black pepper
13 oz. all-purpose flour
3 T. water
½ oz. yeast
1 egg, to brush on bread
¼ cup strained yogurt
¼ cup mineral water
2 T. pickled beets
1. Peel, seed and quarter tomato.
2. In food processor or blender, mix ground veal, tomato, banana peppers, garlic, onion, parsley, salt and black pepper.
3. Combine flour, water and yeast; let rest 15 minutes.
4. When yeast has activated, roll dough out on well-floured surface. Cut in large circles.
5. Place filling in thin line in center of each dough circle. Roll dough circles to about size and shape of a breadstick. Cut into desired breadstick lengths.
6. Brush breadsticks with egg; bake at 350°F for 12 minutes.
7. In separate bowl, prepare yogurt drink by whisking together strained yogurt and mineral water. Season with salt, to taste.
8. Puree pickled beets in food processor.
9. Whisk puree into yogurt drink to reach desired color and consistency.
For service: Serve yogurt drink cold in shot glasses. Cut breadsticks diagonally and place on top of each shot glass.
Note: The most flavorful ayran drink is made with sheep’s milk yogurt.
Appetizer, Beef, Beverage, Sizzle
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.