Classic Black Forest Cake
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Maisam Ghannam, recent graduate, St. Louis Community College—Forest Park
Sizzle, Fall 2012
4 oz. cherry purée
4 ¼ oz. all-purpose flour
7 oz. granulated sugar
1 ½ oz. dark cocoa powder
1 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt
2 oz. vegetable oil
4 oz. sour cream
2 oz. whole eggs
1 t. vanilla extract
1 qt. heavy whipping cream
2 oz. powdered sugar
2 t. vanilla extract
3 oz. water
3 oz. granulated sugar
1 oz. Kirschwasser or cherry brandy
To assemble cake:
1 lb. fresh Bing cherries, pitted
3 oz. dark chocolate shavings
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Liberally grease three 9-inch cake pans.
3. Combine cherry purée, flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in bowl of electric stand mixer.
4. Whip on medium speed for 2 minutes.
5. Scrape down sides of bowl; add vegetable oil and sour cream.
6. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
7. Scrape down sides of bowl; add eggs and vanilla extract.
8. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
9. Distribute batter evenly between three cake pans. Bake until golden-brown and baked through, about 20 minutes. Cool cakes completely.
1. Put cream in chilled mixing bowl of electric stand mixer.
2. Add powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
3. Whip on high speed until stiff peaks form. Do not overwhip.
Method: Mix all ingredients
To assemble cake:
1. Place first cake layer on cake pedestal.
2. Liberally brush on Kirsch syrup.
3. Using piping bag, pipe ring of whipped cream around outer edge of cake layer.
4. Arrange pitted cherries in ring touching whipped cream.
5. Repeat process, working toward center of cake, creating “bull’s-eye” design.
6. Place second layer of cake on top of cherries and whipped cream.
7. Repeat previous process, portioning whipped cream and cherries on second cake layer.
8. Top with third cake layer.
9. Completely ice cake with whipped cream.
10. Using chocolate shavings, press into sides of cake in decorative design.
11. Pipe 16 rosettes on top of cake; garnish with fresh cherries.
1 (9-inch) cake, 16 servings
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.