Canard À l’orange - Sous-Vide Duck with Crispy Skin, Balsamic-Orange Gastrique, Orange Confit Gellan, Tournéed Beets, Sage Oil, Blanched Asparagus, Microgreens and Baby Carrots
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Gui Alinat, CEC, Culinary Instructor, The International Culinary School at The Art Institute of Tampa and Jacobson Culinary Arts Academy, Tampa and Tarpon Springs, Fla.
Sizzle, Winter 2010
4 oranges, divided
¹/³ cup salt
1 ²/³ cups + 2 T. sugar, divided
1 T. white pepper
3 duck magrets
²/³ cup balsamic vinegar
²/³ cups orange juice
2 cups brown duck stock
1 cup water
½ t. white wine vinegar
6 oz. beets
6 oz. Yukon gold potatoes
6 oz. baby carrots
6 oz. asparagus
½ cup olive oil
1 oz. fresh sage
Microgreens for garnish
1. Create citrus marinade by combining 4½ t. orange zest from 3 oranges, 1 t. lemon zest, salt, 2 T. sugar and white pepper; set aside.
2. Remove skin from duck meat. Leave skin intact; reserve. Rub meat with citrus marinade; vacuum-pack. Cook in water bath at 135°F for at least 30 minutes.
3. For gastrique sauce, make light caramel with ²/³ cup sugar and balsamic vinegar. Add orange juice and duck stock. Reduce until sauce is à la nappe. To finish, salt and pepper to taste; check consistency and flavor.
4. For gellan (1 gram), create simple syrup by cooking remaining sugar and water until clear; boil for 1 minute. For orange confit, segment 2 oranges. Combine remaining 2 oranges, 2 cups simple syrup and white wine vinegar; bring to a boil. Strain. Measure liquid; mix in gellan at 15 percent to obtain a firm gel. Pour over orange segments. Cool at room temperature. When set, medium dice.
5. For vegetables, tourné beets; glaze. Reserve for garnish. Tourné potatoes; steam. Reserve for garnish. Prep baby carrots; steam. Reserve for garnish. Blanch asparagus. Reserve for garnish.
6. For sage oil, heat olive oil; add sage. Remove from heat; allow to infuse to room temperature. Process with hand blender. Pass through chinois. Reserve in micro squeeze bottle.
7. For crispy skin, dry duck skin; salt. Flash-sear until dark brown and crispy. Reserve.
To plate: Slice duck. On rectangular plate, fan duck. Drizzle with gastrique sauce. Place crispy skin on top. Randomly place vegetables and orange confit cubes. Spot with sage oil. Add a few microgreens. Serve immediately.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.