You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Megan Malin, pastry chef, Sweet Ava's, Valrico, Fla.
Sizzle, Fall 2013
185 g unsalted butter
210 g confectioners’ sugar, divided
140 g fine almond meal
70 g bread flour
185 g egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Melt and cool butter.
3. Blend in 5 grams confectioners’ sugar.
4. With pastry brush, apply some melted butter and sugar mixture to coat financier molds, making sure to coat them completely, including corners. Chill molds to solidify butter.
5. In large bowl, combine almond meal, 205 grams confectioners’ sugar, flour and salt. Mix to blend.
6. Add egg whites; mix until thoroughly blended.
7. Add remaining melted butter and sugar mixture; mix until completely incorporated. The mixture will be fairly thin and pourable.
8. Scoop or pipe batter evenly into molds, almost to the rim.
9. Place baking sheet on center oven rack. Bake until financiers just begin to rise, about 7 minutes and/or a slight golden color appears.
10. Vent oven; reduce heat to 400°F. Continue baking until financiers become light, delicate brown and begin to firm up, another 7-10 minutes. Keep an eye on how financiers are browning.
11. Remove baking sheet from oven; let financiers cool in molds 5-7 minutes. Unmold onto cooling racks.
12. When completely cooled, sprinkle lightly with confectioners’ sugar.
10 servings, 2 cakes each
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.