Crêpe à la Forestière
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Susan Boase, student, Nashville State Community College, Nashville, Tenn.
Sizzle, Spring 2013
Crêpe Filling and Sauce
1½ cups stock, chicken or veal
¼ oz. dried porcini mushrooms
2 T. clarified butter
2 T. flour
Salt and pepper as needed
6 green onions
1 oz. butter
4 oz. assorted exotic mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1 t. thyme, minced
6 oz. milk
6 oz. water, ice-cold
1 egg yolk
1 cup all-purpose flour
5 T. unsalted butter, melted
¼ t. salt
Clarified butter, as needed for cooking
Crêpe Filling and Sauce
1. For sauce, heat stock; add dried mushrooms. Soak 1 hour. Remove mushrooms; slice. Strain stock; reserve.
2. In saucepan, melt clarified butter. Add flour; cook to blond roux. Gradually add reserved stock. Whisk vigorously to remove lumps. Lower heat; simmer to correct viscosity. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
1. Cut white bulb off green onion. Finely mince; reserve. Blanch green portion of green onion; drain on paper towels. Reserve.
2. Heat butter in saute pan; add reserved minced white onion and exotic mushrooms. Cook until onions are translucent. Add reserved mushrooms. Saute to cook off all juices. Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
Method: Place all ingredients in blender except clarified butter. Blend on high 1 minute or until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Scrape blender sides with spatula; blend again. Cover mixture; refrigerate from 1 hour to overnight.
Crêpe cooking method:
1. Preheat crêpe pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan lightly with clarified butter. Let butter heat until smoke begins. Remove pan from flame with one hand; use other hand to pour ¼ cup batter into center of pan. Quickly rotate pan in a circle so batter evenly coats entire bottom of pan.
2. Return pan to flame; cook 45-90 seconds, or until edges of crêpe are goldenbrown. Lift edge of crêpe with spatula to check for crispy, lightly browned crust.
3. With spatula, lift crêpe up; hold edges of crêpe with fingertips to gently ease it onto other side.
4. Cook on other side for 15-30 seconds longer, until barely spotted brown. Slide cooked crêpe onto cooling rack to cool thoroughly before stacking. Repeat process with remaining batter.
1. Place warm crêpes on clean work surface. Spoon half mushroom filling in center of crêpe. Bring up all sides of crêpe, forming pouch. Tie off with blanched green onion.
2. To plate, ladle 2 oz. sauce onto heated plate. Top with crêpe pouch.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.