Fried Oyster Salad
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Adam Kirby, Chef / Co-owner, Bistro 217, Pawleys Island, S.C.
The National Culinary Review, April 2014
½ lb. walnuts
¼ lb. brown sugar
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
1¼ cups water, divided
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups red wine
1 cup red wine vinegar
1¼ cups sugar, divided
4 firm ripe Bartlett pears, peeled
2½ cups salad oil
1 cup champagne vinegar
1 cup chopped herbs (basil, thyme, oregano, parsley)
Oil for frying
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 T. cornstarch
1 t. salt
2 whole eggs
1 cup milk
16 oysters, shucked
3 romaine hearts, chopped
1 cup sliced red seedless California grapes
1 cup crumbled blue cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In bowl, mix walnuts, brown sugar, butter, ¼ cup water and salt and pepper, to taste. Spread on sheet pan; bake 20 minutes or until
golden-brown. Cool (do not refrigerate).
2. In large saucepan, bring red wine, red wine vinegar, 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar and pears to a boil; simmer 10 minutes. Let cool; refrigerate overnight. Thinly slice pears.
3. Whisk together salad oil, champagne vinegar, ¼ cup sugar, chopped herbs and salt and pepper, to taste. Refrigerate until needed.
4. Heat oil to 325°F. In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, cornstarch and
salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs into milk. Dip oysters in dry ingredients, then in egg wash, then in dry ingredients. Fry until golden-brown, about 3-5 minutes.
5. For service: Toss romaine, 1 cup sliced pears, 2 cups walnuts and grapes with ¾-1 cup vinaigrette. Divide among four plates; sprinkle with blue cheese. Place 4 oysters on each plate.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.