Gluten-free Crêpes with Sauteed Mango, Whipped Cashew Cream and Kiwi Sauce
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Marylou Tate, chef instructor, Nashville State Community College, Nashville, Tenn.
Sizzle, Spring 2013
Yield: 16 ounces
1½ oz. cornstarch
6 oz. sweet rice flour
3.5 oz. garbanzo bean flour
3 oz. potato starch
2 oz. tapioca starch
½ t. xanthan gum
Crêpe Filling and Sauce
1 mango, fresh and ripe
1 T. butter
2 oz. orange juice
1 kiwi, pureed to a sauce
2 oz. whipped cashew cream
Mint for garnish
6 oz. milk
6 oz. water, ice-cold
1 egg yolk
1 cup gluten-free “flour” mix
5 T. unsalted butter, melted
¼ t. salt
Clarified butter, as needed for cooking
Method: Combine thoroughly and use as a 1:1 substitution for allpurpose flour.
Crêpe Filling and Sauce
1. Cut mango vertically along each side of pit. Remove skin; slice fruit lengthwise.
2. Add butter to hot sauté pan. Add mango to pan after foam subsides. Saute both sides until edges are caramelized and mango is heated through.
3. Transfer mango to warm plate. Deglaze pan with orange juice. Reduce juice to a glaze; return mango to pan. Coat mango with glaze.
Method: Place all ingredients in blender except clarified butter. Blend on high 1 minute or until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Scrape blender sides with spatula; blend again. Cover mixture; refrigerate from 1 hour to overnight.
Crêpe cooking method:
1. Preheat crêpe pan over medium-high heat. Brush pan lightly with clarified butter. Let butter heat until smoke begins. Remove pan from flame with one hand; use other hand to pour ¼ cup batter into center of pan. Quickly rotate pan in a circle so batter evenly coats entire bottom of pan.
2. Return pan to flame; cook 45-90 seconds, or until edges of crêpe are goldenbrown. Lift edge of crêpe with spatula to check for crispy, lightly browned crust.
3. With spatula, lift crêpe up; hold edges of crêpe with fingertips to gently ease it onto other side.
4. Cook on other side for 15-30 seconds longer, until barely spotted brown. Slide cooked crêpe onto cooling rack to cool thoroughly before stacking. Repeat process with remaining batter.
Lay 4 warm gluten-free crêpes on clean work surface; fold into quarters forming pocket. Stuff pocket with a quarter of hot mango. Arrange on plate. Drizzle with kiwi sauce. Garnish with whipped cashew cream and mint.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.