You must log in to upload a photo.
(5.0/5) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Jamie P. Keating, CEC, Chef/Chief Executive Officer, Jamie Keating Culinary, Inc., LaGrange, Ga.; Chef/Owner, Epic restaurant, Columbus, Ga.
Sizzle, Winter 2012
1 cup milk
2 T. sugar
¼ oz. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110°F)
¼ cup shortening, melted
6 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 t. salt
Cornmeal, as needed
1. Warm milk in small saucepan until bubbles form; remove from heat.
2. Mix in sugar, stirring until dissolved. Cool to lukewarm.
3. In small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
4. In large bowl, combine milk, yeast, shortening and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Add salt and remaining flour until soft ball forms. Knead until smooth. Place in greased bowl, cover; let rise. Punch down. Roll out to about ½-inch thick. Cut rounds with biscuit cutter. Sprinkle parchment paper with cornmeal; set rounds on cornmeal to rise. Dust tops with cornmeal. Cover; let rise 30 minutes.
5. Heat greased griddle. Cook muffins on griddle on medium heat about 10 minutes each side. Keep baked muffins in 350°F oven until centers are cooked, 5-6 minutes. Cool. Place in airtight container for storage. To use, split and toast.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.