Bok Choy Wrappers
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Emily W., Kara S., and Amanda S., from Winograd K-8, Greeley, Colo.
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, March 2014
1½ cups brown rice, long grain
3 cups warm water
2 cups bok choy, raw, sliced
1¼ heads romaine lettuce
1 1/3 cups pineapple tidbits
2 1/3 cups precooked chicken strips
2/3 cup and 2½ teaspoons sweet and sour sauce
1. Cook brown rice either by boiling or steaming. Allow rice to cool slightly.
2. Cut the bases off the bok choy and romaine lettuce. Keeping the two separate, rinse leaves under cool water to clean thoroughly.
3. Use a salad spinner to remove excess water from the bok choy leaves and romaine lettuce leaves.
4. Cut the bok choy leaves into ¼" slices. Place the bok choy leaves in a steamtable pan and steam them for about 10 minutes--until leaves are tender.
5. While the bok choy steams, remove the tough ribs from the romaine lettuce leaves. Set aside. You will only be utilizing the larger outer leaves. Set the smaller inner leaves aside and use them in another recipe.
6. Drain pineapple chunks thoroughly.
7. In a large mixing bowl, combine: cooked brown rice, steamed bok choy, drained pineapple chunks, thawed pre-cooked chicken strips and sweet and sour sauce.
8. Transfer rice mixture to a 13×9×2" baking dish.
9. Bake: Conventional Oven: 350°F for 30 minutes. Convection Oven: 325°F for 25 minutes.
10. For each serving, provide 1½ cups rice mixture alongside 2-3 romaine lettuce leaves.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.