Steak au Poivre
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Jonathan Ikinaga, student, The Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, N.Y.
Sizzle, Fall 2011
2 large russet potatoes
Peanut oil (enough for 3 in. depth in large saucepan)
Kosher salt, as needed for service
¼ t. salt
3 T. black peppercorns
4 (6 oz). filet mignons
2 T. unsalted butter
2 T. grapeseed oil
¼ cup shallots
2 oz. cognac
1 cup beef stock
¼ cup heavy cream
2 T. soft butter
¼ cup chopped parsley
12 oz. haricots verts, trimmed
¼ cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, as needed
1 T. butter
Prepare pommes frites:
1. On a mandoline, cut potatoes, skin on, into ¼-inch-thick strips. Cover in cold water. Change water at least three times or until clear; soak for 1 hour.
2. Heat oil to 320°F. Drain potatoes; dry with paper towels. Fry potatoes about 4-5 minutes or until cooked through but not browned. Remove to paper towel- lined plate. Reserve oil.
Note: Pommes frites can be prepared a few hours in advance, but leave at room temperature.
1. Place salt and peppercorns in heavy-duty sealable plastic bag. With bottom of heavy skillet or using spice grinder, crush ingredients until coarse.
2. Pat steaks dry; coat both sides with peppercorn mixture. In 10-inch heavy skillet, heat butter and grapeseed oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes; turn steaks over. Spoon pan juices over steaks; cook until medium rare. Transfer to plates; hold for service.
3. Pour off excess fat from skillet. Saute shallots for 2 minutes. Add cognac; deglaze pan. Add beef stock; bring to a boil. Reduce sauce by half. Add cream; bring back to a boil until sauce thickens and coats back of spoon, about 1 minute. Add butter; swirl until incorporated. Add parsley. Hold for service.
Prepare haricots verts:
1. Bring large pot of salted water over medium heat to a boil. In large bowl, prepare ice bath. Drop green beans in boiling water to blanch for 60 seconds. Immediately remove beans; shock in ice bath.
2. In large saute pan over low heat, add olive oil and garlic. Fry garlic slices until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Remove garlic; drain on paper towels.
3. Remove green beans from ice bath. Using same saute pan, add green beans to hot garlic infused olive oil. Raise heat to high; cook, tossing frequently, about 2-3 minutes for fried garlic slices. Season with salt and pepper.
4. While tossing beans, add butter. Taste; adjust seasoning if necessary.
1. Heat reserved pommes frites oil to 365-375°F. In batches, drop pommes frites into oil; fry until golden-brown and crispy. Remove to plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Season with salt; serve immediately.
2. To plate: Place steak in center of plate. Add pommes frites. Place haricots verts next to steak; add sauce over steak.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.