You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Danielle Dorcil, Banquet Cook, The Colonnade Hotel, Boston
Sizzle, Winter 2011
2 lbs. marinated sauerkraut
0.25 oz. garlic
0.25 oz. caraway seeds
0.5 oz. fresh thyme
0.5 oz. coriander seeds
0.5 oz. juniper seeds
0.25 oz. white peppercorns
2 bay leaves
6 oz. smoked pork shoulder
3 oz. bacon, rough chopped
8 oz. onion
2 oz. duck fat
1 cup white wine
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 smoked pork loin
3 oz. smoked bacon
4 red potatoes, boiled in chicken stock until tender
1. In clean sink, rinse sauerkraut in cold water for 2-4 hours.
2. In sachet, wrap garlic, caraway, thyme, coriander, juniper, peppercorns and bay leaves. Cut pork shoulder and basic choucroute bacon in 4-inch chunks. Put pork shoulder and bacon in saucepot; fill with cold water. Bring to a boil; blanch meats. Cool with cold water.
3. Once vinegar is rinsed from sauerkraut, strain; squeeze out excess water with hands.
4. Julienne onion. In brazier pan, melt duck fat; sweat onion. Add sachet, sauerkraut and blanched meats. Stir thoroughly. Add wine; cover with parchment paper. Put cast-iron lid on top. Braise in 350ºF oven for 1½-2 hours. Remove sachet. Season sauerkraut and blanched meats with salt and pepper.
5. Heat knockwurst. Sear smoked bacon and pork loin until crispy. Add frankfurter to potatoes in chicken stock; heat.
6. To plate: Place choucroute in center of bowl. Layer pork loin, knockwurst, smoked bacon and frankfurter around choucroute. Add potatoes; serve.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.