You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Nicholas Calias, CEC, Director of Food and Beverage Operations/Corporate Executive Chef, The Colonnade Hotel and Brasserie JO, Boston
Sizzle, Winter 2011
2 lbs. marinated sauerkraut
0.25 oz. garlic
0.25 oz. caraway seeds
0.5 oz. fresh thyme
0.5 oz. coriander seeds
0.5 oz. juniper seeds
0.25 oz. white peppercorns
2 bay leaves
6 oz. smoked pork shoulder
3 oz. bacon, rough chopped
8 oz. onion
2 oz. duck fat
1 cup white wine
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In clean sink, rinse sauerkraut in cold water for 2-4 hours.
2. In sachet, put garlic, caraway, thyme, coriander, juniper, peppercorns and bay leaves.
3. Cut pork shoulder and bacon into 4-inch chunks. Put in saucepot; fill with cold water. Bring to a boil; blanch meats. Cool with cold water.
4. Julienne onion. Rinse vinegar from sauerkraut; strain. Squeeze out excess water with hands.
5. In brazier pan, melt duck fat; sweat onion. Add sachet, sauerkraut and blanched meats. Stir thoroughly. Add wine; cover with parchment paper. Cover pan with cast-iron lid; braise in 350ºF oven for 1½-2 hours. Remove sachet. Season sauerkraut and blanched meats with salt and pepper; set aside.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.