You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: South Education Center Alternative School, Richfield, Minn.
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, November 2013
1/8 cup Brown rice, long-grain, regular, dry
1 tsp Canola oil
1½ Tbsp Fresh onion, peeled, diced
¼ cup Fresh celery, diced
1½ tsp Fresh garlic, minced
1 lb Raw ground turkey, lean
1 Egg, beaten
5 Tbsp Dried cranberries, chopped
¾ cup Fresh baby spinach, chopped
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Ground black pepper
1 dash Ground white pepper
6 (1 oz each) Mini whole-wheat rolls (small dinner
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Combine brown rice and ½ cup water in a small pot and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low. Cover and cook until water is absorbed, about 30-40 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled. A rice cooker may be used with the same quantity of brown rice and water.
3. Heat canola oil in a small skillet. Add onions, celery, and garlic. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate until completely cooled.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine turkey, egg, cranberries, spinach, Worcestershire sauce, salt, peppers, brown rice, and sautéed vegetables. Mix well. Shape into 6 patties.
5. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place patties evenly spaced on baking sheet.
6. Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes at 350°F to an internal temperature of 165°F or higher for at least 15 seconds (use a food thermometer to check the internal temperature). Do not overcook. Remove from oven and serve on a mini whole-wheat roll. Serve immediately.
7. May be served with onion, lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.