You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, October 2013
2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
3 cans diced butternut squash
2-4 tablespoons chili powder
1-1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
1-2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
¼-½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
¼ cup cold water
2 16-ounce cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed well
1 16-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed well
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including juice
2 small zucchini, diced
1. Put pot on stove and turn heat to medium.
2. Let pot heat for 1 minute and when it is hot add oil.
3. Add onion, garlic, butternut squash, chili powder, oregano and cumin (and red pepper flakes and cayenne for spicy version). Cook on low heat until onion is very soft, about 20 minutes. Stir from time to time. If it looks dry, add water.
4. Add beans and tomatoes; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
5. Add zucchini; cook, uncovered for 30 more minutes. Serve or set aside to cool and store.
6. Chili can be refrigerated up to 5 days or stored in freezer for up to 2 months.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.