Flax Fried Rice
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Recipe courtesy of the Flax Council of Canada.
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups water
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp canola oil
3 eggs, beaten well
½ cup diced cooked ham or any meat
3/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn), thawed
2 green onions, cut into 6 mm (1/4 inch) lengths
2 tbsp soy sauce
½ tspsesame oil
1/4 cup flax seed, toasted*
1. Rinse rice well in a sieve under cold running water. In a medium saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil, add rice, bring to a boil again, stirring with a fork. Reduce heat, cover, simmer slowly 20 minutes. Remove lid, allow steam to escape. Fluff rice with a fork. Cool, cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
2. In a large non-stick skillet, over medium heat, heat canola oil.
3. Add egg and fry until half cooked.
4. Add rice, breaking up any lumps, stirring quickly to
coat the rice.
5. Reduce heat to medium low; add ham, vegetables and green onions.
6. Cook, turning rice mixture gently but frequently, about 4 minutes.
7. Add soy sauce, sesame oil and flax seed. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 3 minutes.
*To toast flax seed, spread flax seeds in small metal pan. Bake at 180°C (350°F) for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir while toasting.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.