Artichoke and Shrimp Quesadillas
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Clemson University's Culinary Nutrition Undergraduate Student Research Group
Chef & Child Ingredient of the Month, March 2013
1½ cups water
1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 pound baby artichokes (about 8)
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 ounces large shrimp, peeled and deveined
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
6 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
½ cup Asparagus Almond Pesto (recipe below)
3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Asparagus Almond Pesto:
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces
¼ cup + 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
½ teaspoon salt, divided
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 cup packed arugula
¼ cup almonds
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1. Combine water and lemon juice in large bowl. Working with one artichoke at a time, cut off stem to within ¼-inch of base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom; trim about 1 inch from top of artichoke. Cut each artichoke lengthwise into quarters. Place artichoke quarters in lemon water.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Drain artichokes well; pat dry. Add artichokes to pan. Cover; cook 10 minutes or until tender. Uncover. Increase heat to medium high; add shrimp. Cook 2 minutes or until shrimp are done. Place artichokes and shrimp in medium bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray. Place tortillas, sprayed side down, on work surface; spread with pesto. Top half of each tortilla with shrimp, artichokes and cheese. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently.
4. Heat large nonstick skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Cook quesadillas, two at a time, for 4-6 minutes or until browned and heated through, turning once.
For asparagus almond pesto:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Arrange asparagus in single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Toss well to coat. Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until tender.
3. Combine roasted asparagus and remaining salt and pepper with next 5 ingredients (arugula through garlic) in food processor; pulse 2-3 times to coarsely chop. With motor running, slowly add the oil, and process until smooth.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.