Kaffir Lime and Coconut Leche Flan
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Valeria Molinelli
Skills for Culinarians Day Cookbook, July 2004
From the Chef
“Lychees are only in season in June and July. Substitute with mangos— teens or rambutans.”
l pt. coconut milk
l0-15 kaffir-lime leaves, chopped
l2 ounces condensed milk
4 or 5 whole eggs
l t vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Lychee compote with papaya and kiwi
12 fresh lychees, shells saved
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 t lemon juice
1 t chopped mint
1/2 small papaya, seeded and diced
1 kiwi, diced
Coquitos, thinly shaved and toasted, to taste (South American nuts)
Mint sprigs, to taste
Special equipment needed:
2 one—dozen egg cartons
1) Preheat oven to 350°F
2) in a saucepan, heat coconut milk with kaffer-lime leaves until infused. (Do not let milk boil.) Strain into bowi.
3) Prepare caramel by melting sugar in Teflon pan on medium—high heat.
4) Cut top of lychees OFF. Carefully scoop out fruit without breaking shell. Wash shells; reserve them to use as ?an molds.
5) Spoon a bit of caramel into lychee shells, turning them to whole interior. Once caramel hardens, place shells in egg cartons.
6) in medium bowl, gently beat eggs until incorporated. Gradually add hot coconut milk, whisking constantly to bring eggs to temperature. Whisk in condensed milk until smooth. Add vanilla.
7) Using a pitcher, fill each shell 3/4 Full with egg mixture.
8) Place each egg carton into a 3-inch bain-marie. Place in oven for 30-45 minutes. Insert knife—when it comes out clean, flans are ready Remove from oven; let rest For an hour, then chill.
9) To make compote, remove pit of lychees by making lengthwise slit. in saucepan, heat pitted, skinned lychees with water, sugar and lemon juice over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add chopped mint right before taking o?’ heat. Chill.
10) Before service, add papaya and kiwi into compote and gently mix.
11) Shave coquitos; toast until golden.
12) To serve, place a spoonful of compote in center of plate; place two lychee cups around it. Garnish with coquito shavings and sprig of mint.
12 5 oz. servings
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.