Crab and Havarti Bisque with Dill
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Marjorie Druker
The National Culinary Review, November 2008
From the Chef
“From The New England Soup Factory Cookbook: More Than 700 Recipes from the Nation’s Best Purveyor of Fine Soup (Thomas Nelson, 2007)”
3 T. butter
3 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1 large Spanish onion, peeled, diced
2 carrots, peeled, sliced
2 celery ribs, diced
3 potatoes, peeled, diced in 3/4-inch cubes
4 T. tomato paste
8 cups lobster stock
1 cup sherry
1 lb. crabmeat (fresh or frozen)
8 slices (1/2 lb.) Havarti cheese
3 t. dry mustard
2 cups heavy cream
6 dashes Worcestershire sauce
6 dashes Tabasco sauce
3 T. chopped fresh dill
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1) Melt butter in stockpot over medium- high heat. Add garlic, onion, carrot, celery and potato. Sauté, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
2) Add tomato paste. stock and sherry; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover
pot. Simmer for 35 to 40 minutes.
3) Remove from heat. Add crabmeat. cheese and mustard. Let cheese melt into soup.
4) Purée soup in pot using hand blender or working in batches with regular blender, until smooth. Return to stove.
5) Add cream, Worcestershire, Tabasco, dill, salt and pepper: stir thoroughly.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.