Sweet Potato Flan
You must log in to upload a photo.
(unrated) Log in to rate this recipe!
Credit: Andy Chlebana
The National Culinary Review, November 2008
5 oz. water
23.5 oz. granulated sugar, divided
1 sweet potato (to yield 8 oz. when baked, peeled)
1 14-oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 12-oz. can evaporated milk
10 oz. eggs
1 pinch nutmeg
1) For caramel topping, put water in heavy-bottomed saucepan; pour 20 oz.
sugar directly into center. (This way, there is no need to brush the sides of the pan.) Cook over high heat until deep amber. Shook pan briefly in ice water to stop cooking. Dry bottom of pan. Pour caramel into ramekins; cool.
2) For flan. wrap sweet potato in toil; bake at 350°F until soft. Cool. Peel; weigh (need 8 oz.).
3) Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, remaining sugar, eggs and nutmeg with sweet potato in immersion blender. Strain through chinois.
4) Spoon sweet—potato custard onto caramel in ramekins; bake in water bath at 275"F until firm. Refrigerate overnight.
5) lnvert to remove from ramekins. Serve.
ACF reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.