Hot Kitchen & Culinary Arts Competition Seminar: United States/New Orleans
Registration is CLOSED
American Culinary Federation is hosting a competition Seminar in New Orleans, United States on July 15, 2023.
Competition Seminar instructors share techniques from both the perspective of Worldchefs Certified Judges and award-winning competitors. Participants gain an understanding of not only judging criteria but also best practices in the competition kitchen and tactics that consistently reach the highest place at the podium.
Current judges: All Worldchefs Certified Judges are required to attend a Competition Seminar every five years.
Future judges: Attending a Competition Seminar is a mandatory part of the process to become a Worldchefs Certified Judge. Participants are awarded a certificate of participation that can be submitted as one of the required credentials in an application. To learn more about the process and for a complete list of requirements, download the Worldchefs Certified Judge application form here.
Judges: Why attend?
- Keep up to date with culinary trends, and discover all the latest rules necessary to provide fair judgment during competition events.
- Engage with renowned chef instructors and network with a diverse and driven class of competition chefs, aspiring judges, and influencers in the culinary space.
- Current judges: All Worldchefs Certified Judges are required to attend a Competition Seminar every five years.
- Future judges: Take the first step towards becoming a Worldchefs Certified Judge. Participants receive a certificate of participation after attending a Competition Seminar. This certificate of completion is one of the mandatory requirements when submitting a Worldchefs Certified Judge application.
Competitors: Why attend?
- Learn indispensable tips to excel in culinary competitions, and understand the service process and presentation details to make sure you know everything from the very beginning to the end.
- Be the first to discover current culinary trends, innovations in modern kitchen equipment, and the latest technologies used in competition.
- Engage with renowned chef instructors and get inspired alongside a diverse and driven class of competition chefs, aspiring judges, and influencers in the culinary space.
Learn more about becoming a Worldchefs Certified Judge
Attending a Competition Seminar is one of the required credentials in a Certified Judge application. Keep in mind, all Certified Judges are required to attend a Competition Seminar every five years. These intensive workshops provide key information about current trends, competition rules and judging criteria, to help chefs keep up-to-date and at their best!
Attending applicable Competition Seminars is one part of the process to become a judge, and does not automatically qualify you as a Certified Judge. Applicants must fulfil additional criteria and provide evidence of support in a formal application process. To learn more about the full approval process, visit worldchefs.org/become-certified-judge/.
Meet Your Seminar Instructor
Simon Smotkowicz, CCC
Simon immigrated to Canada in 1975 lending his talents to the Edmonton Plaza (Westin), the Four Seasons Edmonton as well as Delta Hotels in Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Montreal. In 1988 he returned Edmonton as the Executive Chef at the Shaw Conference Centre until his retirement in 2017. Holding to his philosophy that “eating is a discovery” to be explored through creative experimentation with textures and flavors, Simon has established a professional reputation of excellence for both his culinary and leadership skills.
International competition has been a long-standing interest and commitment for Simon, both with Culinary Team Alberta and Culinary Team Canada. His first competition was in 1983, and since then his artistry, dedication and teamwork have contributed significantly to the successes achieved by our nation’s culinary teams. Combined with his tenacity, drive and uncompromising pursuit of excellence, Simon continues to foster growth and development of Canada and Alberta’s culinary expertise by upholding a leadership and performance standard that distinguishes these teams as the world’s best.
In 2020, Simon was appointed to the Worldchefs Culinary Competition Committee and is one of the teachers Hot Kitchen & Culinary Arts Competition Seminars.
Date: July 15, 2023
Time: 8:30–4:30 p.m.
Location: New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans, LA, United States
The ACF National Convention will be held in New Orleans, LA July 16-19
Note: This seminar is organized exclusively on-site. It will NOT be recorded or streamed for online participation.
For more information contact the American Culinary Federation at email@example.com.
This Seminar precedes the 2023 ACF National Convention but is not part of the Convention. 8 CEHs will be awarded upon completion of Seminar.
Registration is CLOSED
Cancellations made 30 days or more from the start date will receive a 70% refund. Cancellations made within 30 days of the start date are ineligible for a refund. Due to deadlines that are out of the control of the ACF, there will be no exceptions made. Individuals may roll the cancellation amount, 30% or 100% of the registration fee, over to another ACF product (i.e., membership, certification or an event). If utilizing the rollover amount for an event, we will allow for a one-time rollover and you must register within 12 months. The refund must be requested in writing and be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.